FIRST NATIONAL BANK
The First National Bank at Baudette opened its doors on November 27, 1915 with a public reception that was attended by hundreds of local residents. From the time the building began to take shape, the local newspaper reported, it was an object of pride for Baudette citizens but few were prepared for the beauty of the interior.
The furniture and fixtures were made of quarter sawed oak and there was genuine art glass throughout. Carthage marble and Belgian marble were used for the dealing plates. An Alba lighting system and a vapor heating system were installed. The general beauty of the building was carried onto the second floor which held the law offices of C.R. and E.C. Middleton, the A.F. and A.M. Masonic lodge rooms.
The two story structure was constructed of Hytex brick with Bedford stone trimmings and solid bronze signs. The main floor held a consulting room, cashier’s office, employee workspace, two vaults, a telephone booth made of plate glass, the customer’s room and an appointment room for general public use and a conference room. The building was designed by A. Moorman & Co., bank architects of St. Paul.
The banks officers were E.A. Engler, president and T.M. Partridge, vice-president. R. M. Skinner was employed as cashier.
Visitors to the opening were escorted through the building by bank employees, the directors and their wives. The gentlemen were presented with cigars and the ladies with flowers. Sanderson’s Orchestra rendered several pleasing selections.